Thursday, June 14, 2012

Flying from Juneau to the Excursion Inlet


The flight from Juneau to Excursion Inlet was amazing. The little engine just droned on and on while we flew over snow capped mountains and so much water! I took pictures and video. It was pretty cool! And I’m surprised that I wasn’t afraid at all just amazed!  We landed at the cannery and Mark Warner was there to pick us up. I know now why he didn’t want us to pack too much! We had to pull the luggage over the rocks and dirt to the dock and then pass them down from land to the boat. THEN we had to do it again in reverse when we landed back here at the lodge! Wish I woulda known!

The youngest child is Kathryn, (she’s 8). She adopted me right away, took me on the tour of the place. A tour that only a little one could give. I know where all the secret doors are now. I helped her feed her little chickens and crossed the raging river with the instructions, “Don’t look down! Look straight ahead ONLY!”  and after she told me I didn’t need to hold my arms out like that, I should just walk normally.
Saturday after we arrived and ate dinner Willie went bear hunting with Mark and the others. Maxine and I were asked to help unpack the groceries. We thought sure, why not! Well come to find out the very first customers were showing up tomorrow and we had the entire summer’s inventory to unpack! It was kinda fun actually but it was very hard work. The big thing was that the packaging all got wet and we really had to unload everything and determine if any thing was ruined. It was a long long time.  Willie has a story to tell about bear hunting that mostly involves riding on the back of a 4 wheel ATV and lack of padding on the seat.

Sunday, was almost a disaster. I was exhausted from the trip and unpacking all the groceries for the lodge. Woke up to cold rain and the assignment that Willie and I were going to be working in the kitchen. We worked so hard all day! I thought we were going to get a break each day to fish or explore or whatever but yesterday we worked from first thing until last at night. But last thing they told us was that we were going to get to go fishing today! From 11-6! 

Took a shower in the Bath House. Wasn’t too bad really but went to bed with wet hair – hate to do that! Willie got up at 6 to help with breakfast. I slept in til 7:15! Got breakfast all cleaned up and got ready to go fish! 

It’s still raining here and it’s cold. I didn’t pack warm enough clothes! I needed thicker socks, better gloves, and two pairs of long johns. While fishing we saw a pod of whales but they were very far away. I tried to talk “Whale” to them but I didn’t do a good job, they went the other way. Bill our boat captain caught a sea lion! He has his line in the water with a half a fish stuck to it when the seal snuck up and grabbed it! Bill fought with it for a few minutes but it got loose and when it did he came back around and hollered at us for making him so mad!  Our friend Maxine caught a double ugly fish. I’ll post a picture for you.










I shot lots of pictures and will post them when I figure it out and I’m not exhausted. The shark was being devoured by eagles when we got back from fishing.  Pictures to follow.  Something is wrong with my camera and my pictures are all coming out so fuzzy. (Figured out that it is so humid here that the lens is fogging over!)  Ok so Here are the fishing pictures from day one.

The owner’s wife, Kristina took the kids to ‘town’ – Juneau for grocery shopping. She left Monday morning around 11 and was due back by supper.  Excursion Inlet is an island without any access via paved roads. The only way in or out is by boat or plane! Kristina took by boat. She was shopping and needed the space for groceries provided by the boat.  The weather got rough so she and the kids stayed in Juneau and headed back this morning.  The weather was still rough and the tide was low so they were only able to move at about 6-8 mph. Slow going for the long round the island. They finally made it back to the lodge a little afternoon today.  You really gotta plan your shopping when you live in a remote place like this!
Tuesday - Had morning coffee on the second floor overlooking the ocean thru 100 foot pine trees. The trees were filled with bald eagles like our trees at home are filled with sparrows each morning only the eagles are a lot easier to see – they are huge! Pretty cool way to start the day. It was raining when it was time to go fishing so I opted out. I got so miserably cold yesterday and we didn’t even catch any fish. I stayed and finished my work of making lunch for the customers for tomorrow then just hung out and did laundry.  Russell, the 11 year old, came running in to tell me that there were about 20 eagles sitting around the shark eating so we ran out with my camera and got some really great pictures. He decided that the crow was an unwelcome guest so he got his .22 and shot it!

It’s still pretty cold here. I thought I would be able to wear short sleeve shirts while we were here but I don’t see that as being possible – ever! 

Missing my family but I hear that dad got the lift on for his powerchair today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment