Monday, July 9, 2012

Two terrible boat rides

Saturday after the guests left the staff had a fishing derby contest. The winners would be the ones who brought in the most legal fish (to the legal limit), the biggest, the most species, etc. There were 4 to a boat and we had to be back at the lodge by 2:59 to qualify. Bill, Diane, Willie and I started out across the ocean to our favorite fishing spots - Mary's and No Mans, but we were just past the "Green Bouy". The weather starting getting rough, our tiny ship was tossed, if not for the skill of our fearless crew our blue minnow would be lost. We started out fine but the wind kicked up and the waves started growing and then BAM! our engine stopped! We were being tossed and flipped and rolled with the waves! We hit our emergency "Spot On" to call for help. After we were sure help was on the way Willie and Bill started looking at the engine to see if they could get it going again. Mean while I am getting seriously sea sick! I'm looking around at the landscape and planning my place to hurl cuz I'm gonna!

Diane was on the phone calling for help and putting on her life jacket! I'm doing deep breathing. The boat is rolling with the deep waves and it's getting worse by the second! Willie and Bill are holding on to the boat while looking at the engine when Willie discovers that a cotter pin is missing from some where deep inside! They put their heads together and rig a hook to hold in place of the cotter pin! Genius!

The engine roars to life and we turn around and head for home - slowly at first then when it seems that the jimmy rig will hold Bill hits the accelerator and pushes on hard - only problem with that is we are being tossed around and banged around the inside of the boat. We are holding on for dear life! Truly! I'm looking down at my lap to keep the rain out of my suit but I can see Willie and Diane fly out of their seats! I thought Willie was going over the end of the boat! I was praying Bill would slow down but we had to get out of that storm! When the boat is in the air between waves and then crashes down to the water it makes this horrible BAM! and your spine jams and your teeth smash together and your head feels like it might fly off! Finally I decided to put on my life jacket - I was sure I was going over board! I was scared!  I convince Willie to put on his life jacket as well! I though we were gonners!
Finally we get home and I can't wait to get out of that boat! We get honorable mention for getting back to the lodge first! I was just so happy to be back at all!


Then today it started raining and it rained and rained and rained! We have 150 pounds of Halibut already to bring home so we are trying to get a box or two of Salmon. Salmon is caught by "Trolling". You put this extensive jig of hooks and shiny things on your fishing line, put the boat engine in slow motion, drop the jig in the water and let out 150 feet of so of line and wait for a Salmon to see it while you are driving around the ocean. No salmon ever see my jig. It's boring and it's raining and I'm cold and I wanna go home! When I get 'home' I discover that all my clothes are soaking wet because my rain jacket leaks!

No pictures from either day, I can't get it out of my rubber pants the first day because I'm holding on to the seat for dear life and I can't today because it's pouring down rain and there isn't anything to take a picture of!

I think I'm done with fishing.

1 comment: